What is Goal Setting?
Goal setting refers to the process of setting specific, attainable targets for individuals or groups.
Goal setting definition
Goal setting refers to the process of setting specific, attainable targets for individuals or groups. It is a motivational technique which can help the employees to understand the business goals, and motivate them to rise to the challenges.
Goal settings have to be specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time bound.
Goal setting steps
1. Thinking about the target.
2. Breaking the target into smaller goals.
3. Using the SMART method to create attainable goals.
4. Create some short term positive goals.
5. Set prioroties
6. Keep track of progress.
7. Rewarding accomplishments
Goal setting S.M.A.R.T. technique
A good way to create constructive goals is to use the S.M.A.R.T. technique.
• Specific: clearly states what is to be achieved.
• Measurable: can be quantitatively determined or observed.
• Achievable: within reach given the role and responsibilities.
• Results-oriented: indicating what action is to be performed.
• Time-bound: including a deadline for completion.
Benefits of goal setting
• Defines priorities
• Establishs direction
• Identifies expected results
• Enhances teamwork
• Improves individual performance
• Clarifies expectations
• Connects individual contributions to the overall success of the university