Absenteeism policy (or attendance policy) is a strategy companies use to regulate employees' attendance and time off, in order to deal with workplace absenteeism.
Absenteeism policy definition
Absenteeism policy (or attendance policy) is a strategy companies use to regulate employees' attendance and time off, in order to deal with workplace absenteesim. The policy defines and explains expectations for employee attendance with documentation, tracking method and a procedure for requesting time off.
Absenteeism policy for employers
Absenteeism from work can be achieved through scheduled and unscheduled time off, while repeated unjustified absenteeism can lead to employee's dismissal.
• Scheduled time off: employee's absence which was scheduled in advance and approved through the company's procedure for requesting time off from regular work hours for things like medical appointments, vacation, family responsibilities, jury duty, etc.
• Unscheduled time off: employee's absence which was not scheduled nor approved through the company's procedure for requesting time off from regular work hours, such as sickness.
The employers need to explain what is expected in terms of their employees' attendance at work, making the employees aware of their obligations in a clear and concise way.
Absenteeism policy clauses include:
• Emphasizing the importance of filling in a form for any kind of leave.
• Stating that managers should be notified within a reasonable period of time about their employees' absence.
• Defining what is considered an acceptable amount of absenteeism in the company.
• Indicating that frequent unjustified absenence could be a valid reason for his/her dismissal.
Why should you use the absenteeism policy
An absenteeism policy is an effective method for monitoring, moderating and reducing absenteeism in your company. It give detailed insight into employee productivity and absence patterns. The information employers obtain through this policy helps manage employees' performance in ways of rewarding or sanctioning them.
Explore More Terms & Definitions
- Learning Management Software and Systems
- Matrix organization
- Ban the Box
- Summary dismissal
- Social Media Background Screening
- Purple Squirrel
- Collective Bargaining
- Medical savings account (MSA)
- Candidate Engagement
- Strategic human resource management
- Casual Employment
- Personality tests – psychometric testing
- Employee Relations
- Human Resource Information System (HRIS)
- Labor Cost
Recruitment Marketing Tips: 11 Recruitment Content Ideas
Culture & People
How to Motivate High Performing Employees?
Recruitment Content for Every Step of Candidate Journey
Candidate Journey Mapping: Step-by-Step Guide