A career summary is brief, general statement on a resume that includes overview of experience, responsibilities of a job, skills, and accomplishments.
Career summary definition
A career summary is brief, general statement on a resume that includes overview of experience, responsibilities of a job, skills, and accomplishments. The career summary is the first item on the resume, after the contact information and serves as an introduction to the rest of the resume.
Career summary is often targeted to the job in which the applicant is interested. The main goal of a career summary is to share the most immpresive qualifications relevant to the job up front and grab the hiring manager's attention with it.
Purpose of career summary
1. Brief overview of applicant's accomplishments that are relevant to the position
2. Effective capture of applicant's relevant skills and experience
3. Match the qualifications that the company is asking for in the job description.
Information included in a career summary
- Years of experience
- Relevant educational degrees, certifications, special training
- Specific accomplishments and recognition.
- List of skills and experience that set the individual apart from the competition
- Areas of expertise in individual's specific career field.
Explore More Terms & Definitions
- Skills Gap
- Executive Coaching
- Executive Recruiter
- Counter Offer
- Human Capital Management
- Viral Marketing
- Affirmative Action
- Defined Contribution
- SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
- Behavioral Competency
- Third-Party Administrator (TPA)
- Minimum wage
- Career Fair
- Yield ratio
- Exit Interview
3 Ways Technology Can Make HR Teams More Productive
7 Steps to Build a Social Media Recruitment Strategy
11 Similarities Between Recruiters and Marketers
[GUIDE] How to Successfully Hire for a Startup