Leadership skills interview questions are used to identify, test and measure candidate’s leadership capabilities, experience and knowledge. Being a leader is not easy, and you should look for some very specific characteristics in a person that is supposed to lead others.
What do leadership skills interview questions test?
Leadership skills interview questions are used to identify, test and measure candidate’s leadership capabilities, experience and knowledge.
Good leaders add value to the company by fostering a collaborative environment and welcoming new ideas. Additionally, the most successful companies are the ones that foster leadership in all of their employees at every level of the organization.
Job positions to use leadership skills questions for
All of your senior level positions (e.g. team leaders and managers) such as Social Media Managers, Operations Managers, HR Managers, IT Managers and Chief Technology Officers should be asked these questions.
What are some common examples of leadership skills interview questions?
- According to your experience, what is the best and most effective way to motivate the members of a team you lead?
- What is the best part of being a team leader? And the worst? Please explain your answers.
- Have you ever had difficulty getting your team members to accept your lead? What was your approach? Did it work?
- What is more important to you, that your team members like you or that they get the job done?
- How do you measure your success as a leader?
- What motivates you to be a leader?
- Tell me about a time you had to deliver bad news to your team. How did you do it?
- Tell me about a time where there has been a disagreement within your team. What did you do?
- Name five characteristics you value the most in your team members.
- Give me an example of a time when you were leading a team and something went wrong. What happened? What did you learn?
Looking for more questions to ask your candidates in an interview?
Browse our list of interview questions by type and make sure to check out our Complete guide for asking candidates the best interview questions. 🙂
9 Reasons Why You Should Use Video in Recruitment
6 Tips for Creating a Perfect Recruitment Video
Pros and Cons of Using Recruitment Agencies
20 Mistakes to Avoid When Interviewing a Job Candidate