Emotional intelligence (EQ) interview questions are used to test and measure candidate’s ability to identify and manage their own emotions and the emotions of other people. Emotional intelligence interview questions are very useful when interviewing for any position, but absolutely essential for all of your senior level positions.
What do emotional intelligence (EQ) interview questions test?
Emotional intelligence (EQ) interview questions are used to test and measure candidate’s ability to identify and manage their own emotions and the emotions of other people.
High levels of emotional intelligence are proved to have a big impact on employee performance and productivity.
Employees with a higher level of emotional intelligence are more successful at dealing with demanding work-related changes, stressful situations and demanding colleagues. They also make great leaders.
Job positions to use emotional intelligence (EQ) questionsEmotional intelligence interview questions are very useful when interviewing for any position, but absolutely essential for all of your senior level positions (e.g. team leaders and managers) such as Social Media Managers, Operations Managers, HR Managers, IT Managers and Chief Technology Officers.
What are some common examples of emotional intelligence (EQ) interview questions?
- Give a specific example of a time when you had to address an angry customer. What was the problem and what was the outcome?
- Describe a situation when you were leading a team on a project. What did you do to motivate your colleagues to give their best?
- Give an example of a time when you made a mistake because you did not listen carefully to what your colleague had to say.
- What motivates you to do your work? What makes you happy at work?
- People react differently when job demands keep changing repeatedly. Have you ever been in a similar situation? How did you react?
- Tell me about a time you received negative feedback from your boss. How did that make you feel?
- Is it more important to focus on results and tasks or people and emotions? Explain your answer.
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake at work. What happened? How did you handle it?
Looking for more questions to ask your candidates in an interview?
Browse our list of interview questions by type and make sure to check out our Complete guide for asking candidates the best interview questions. 🙂
Culture & People
How to Motivate High Performing Employees?
Recruitment Content for Every Step of Candidate Journey
Candidate Journey Mapping: Step-by-Step Guide
Why Some Employee Referral Programs Fail?