Pilot Interview Questions
The goal for a successful interview with a pilot is to assess their technical knowledge, problem-solving skills, and ability to work under pressure in challenging situations.
Want to Unlock the Secrets of Job Interviews?
Conducting job interviews is a critical task that requires preparation, structure, and a clear understanding of what you are looking for in a candidate. Here's a guide to help you navigate this process effectivelyDownload Your Guide Now and Start Hiring Smarter!
Situational interview questions
- You are flying a commercial aircraft and encounter a sudden mechanical failure mid-flight. What steps do you take to ensure the safety of the passengers and crew, and how do you communicate with air traffic control and ground support for assistance?
- During a flight, you notice that one of your engines has stopped working. What are some immediate actions you would take, and what factors would you consider when deciding whether to continue the flight or make an emergency landing?
- You are navigating through a severe thunderstorm with low visibility and strong turbulence. How do you manage the aircraft's speed and altitude, and what strategies would you use to ensure a safe landing during such difficult weather conditions?
- You accidentally enter the wrong altitude or course during a flight, leading to a deviation from your intended route or altitude. How do you detect and correct such errors, and what measures do you take to prevent such errors from occurring again in the future?
- You receive a warning from a passenger or cabin crew member about a suspicious object or activity on board. How do you investigate the situation, and what steps do you take to ensure the safety of the passengers and crew while minimizing disruptions to the flight schedule?
Soft skills interview questions
- Can you give an example of a time when you had to use your communication skills to resolve a conflict in the cockpit?
- How do you stay calm under pressure when making important decisions during a flight?
- Can you describe a situation where you had to use your adaptability skills to adjust to a changing flight plan?
- Have you ever had to work as part of a team to handle an emergency situation during a flight? How did you approach that situation?
- Can you provide an example of how you prioritize tasks and manage your time effectively as a pilot?
Role-specific interview questions
- Can you explain the differences between V1, Vr, and V2 speeds in commercial aviation?
- How would you handle an emergency situation, such as engine failure or severe turbulence, while flying a commercial aircraft?
- How do you ensure proper communication and coordination between the captain, co-pilot, and air traffic control during a flight?
- Can you describe your experience with various navigation technologies, such as GPS and radio navigation aids?
- In your opinion, what skills are required to become a successful commercial airline pilot and how have you developed these skills throughout your career?
STAR interview questions1. Situation: Can you describe a time when you faced an unexpected crisis mid-flight?
Task: What were your responsibilities, and what steps did you take to manage the situation?
Action: How did you handle the crisis and make sure the safety of your passengers and crew?
Result: What was the outcome of your actions? Was everyone safe? Did you need to divert the plane?
2. Situation: Have you ever dealt with an equipment malfunction while in the air?
Task: What equipment was malfunctioning, and what was your responsibility as the pilot?
Action: Describe the steps you took to resolve the issue and keep the flight on track.
Result: Did you successfully resolve the issue and complete the flight as planned?
3. Situation: Can you describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult passenger on board?
Task: What was your responsibility as the pilot in this situation?
Action: What steps did you take to manage the difficult passenger and ensure the safety and comfort of everyone on board?
Result: Did your actions successfully resolve the situation without any further complications?
4. Situation: Have you ever faced adverse weather conditions during a flight?
Task: What was your responsibility as the pilot, and what steps did you take to manage the situation?
Action: How did you handle the weather conditions and make sure the safety of your passengers and crew?
Result: What was the outcome of your actions? Did you need to divert the plane, or were you able to land safely?
5. Situation: Can you describe a time when you had to make a split-second decision during a flight?
Task: What was your responsibility as the pilot in that situation?
Action: Describe the steps you took to make the decision and ensure the safety of everyone on board.
Result: What was the outcome of your actions? Did your decision lead to a successful flight?