Bar Back Interview Questions
The goal for a successful interview for Bar Back is to assess the candidate's ability to efficiently stock and maintain the bar, communicate effectively with bartenders and customers, and ensure a smooth flow of operations during high volume periods.
Situational interview questions
- Imagine that you have just started your shift as a bar back, and one of the kegs unexpectedly runs out. The bartender is swamped with customers and needs the next keg ASAP. How would you handle this situation effectively?
- You notice that the ice machine is malfunctioning, and the ice supply is running low. The bartender is starting to receive complaints from customers about their drinks not being cold enough. What steps would you take to quickly resolve the issue?
- During a busy weekend night, one of the cocktail waitresses accidentally spills a tray of drinks that you have just prepared; including glasses, bottles, and mixers. The mess is extensive, and the customers are frustrated. What is your approach to quickly and efficiently clean up the mess and continue with your duties?
- A few customers become unruly, and a fight ensues, leading to broken glass and spilled drinks. How would you ensure that everyone is safe, and what steps would you take to clean up the mess and restore order to the bar?
- Suppose a customer approaches you and complains that he/she found a piece of glass in their drink. What is your response, and what concrete steps would you take to address the customer's concern while maintaining safety and alerting management of the issue?
Soft skills interview questions
- How do you handle difficult customers or guests who are not satisfied with the service they receive?
- Describe a time when you had to work as part of a team to complete a task or project. How did you contribute to the team's success?
- How do you prioritize and manage your tasks when there are multiple things that need to be done at the same time?
- Can you give an example of a time when you had to adapt to a new or unfamiliar situation on the job? How did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond your job duties to ensure customer satisfaction. What did you do and what was the outcome?
Role-specific interview questions
- Can you describe the steps you would take to properly stock and organize the bar for a busy night?
- What hygiene practices do you follow to ensure cleanliness and safety when handling glassware and bar equipment?
- Have you ever dealt with an intoxicated customer? How did you handle the situation?
- Can you explain the importance of accurate cash handling and how you ensure accuracy when handling transactions?
- How do you prioritize and manage multiple tasks, such as restocking inventory and assisting the bartender with drink orders, during a busy shift?
STAR interview questions1. Can you describe a situation where you had to prioritize tasks as a bar back? What was your task, and how did you go about completing it? What was the end result?
2. Have you encountered a challenging customer service situation while working as a bar back? What was the specific situation you faced, and what steps did you take to resolve the issue? What was the outcome?
3. Give an example of a time when you had to take the initiative as a bar back. What was the situation, and what steps did you take to address it? What were the eventual outcomes of your actions?
4. Have you ever had to handle a difficult service situation as a bar back? What was the scenario, and what steps did you take to handle it? What was the effect of your actions?
5. Describe a circumstance where you had to demonstrate teamwork as a bar back. What was the situation, and what was your role? What steps did you take to guide others, and what was the result of your team's efforts?