Guidance Counselor Interview Questions
The goal for a successful interview for a Guidance Counselor is to assess the candidate's experience in providing counseling and guidance services to students, ability to develop and implement academic and career plans, as well as their communication and interpersonal skills.
Want to Unlock the Secrets of Job Interviews?
Conducting job interviews is a critical task that requires preparation, structure, and a clear understanding of what you are looking for in a candidate. Here's a guide to help you navigate this process effectivelyDownload Your Guide Now and Start Hiring Smarter!
Situational interview questions
- You have a student who is struggling with anxiety and consistently expresses negative thoughts about their abilities. How would you work with this student to develop a plan to build their self-esteem and manage their anxiety?
- A new student has just transferred to your school and is exhibiting disruptive behavior in class. How would you approach the situation to help the student understand the expectations of the school community and find strategies to manage their behavior?
- A group of students in your school have expressed interest in starting a mental health support group. What steps would you take to help them organize and implement the group, and how would you support them in their efforts?
- One of your students is facing a challenging family situation at home and is experiencing a great deal of stress as a result. How would you work with the student to identify coping strategies and resources, and how would you support them academically during this difficult time?
- A student approaches you for guidance on selecting a college major. How would you help the student explore their interests and skills, and what resources would you provide to support their decision-making process?
Soft skills interview questions
- Can you describe a time when you had to empathize with a student and how did you handle the situation?
- Tell us about a time when you had to mediate a conflict between two students. How did you approach the situation and what was the outcome?
- Can you give us an example of a difficult conversation you had to have with a student or parent and how did you navigate the situation?
- How do you ensure that you are effectively communicating with students of different backgrounds and abilities? Can you provide an example?
- Tell us how you establish trust and build rapport with students, especially those who may be hesitant or resistant to communicate with you.
Role-specific interview questions
- How do you typically approach helping a student who is struggling with the college application process?
- How do you stay up to date with the latest developments in counseling and student advocacy as a guidance counselor?
- Can you describe a particularly challenging situation you faced as a guidance counselor and how you handled it in a professional and ethical manner?
- In what ways do you incorporate technology and online resources into your counseling sessions with students?
- How do you balance the needs and interests of individual students with the overarching goals and priorities of the school or district as a guidance counselor?
STAR interview questions1. Can you provide an example of a challenging situation you faced as a guidance counselor, your responsibilities in the situation, the steps you took, and the results of your actions?
2. Give me an instance when you had to guide students through a complex process. What were your responsibilities, actions, and the outcome?
3. Describe a time when you had to deal with an upset or frustrated student, your specific role in the situation, how you managed it, and the ultimate outcome.
4. Provide an example of an event in which you helped a student overcome a major obstacle, your role in the process, what steps you took, and what the outcome was.
5. Tell me about a time when you had to collaborate with other school staff to support a student in need. Describe the situation, what you did, and the result of your collaboration.