Janitor Interview Questions
The goal for a successful interview for a Janitor is to demonstrate their ability to maintain a clean and safe environment for the specific facility they will be working in.
Want to Unlock the Secrets of Job Interviews?
Conducting job interviews is a critical task that requires preparation, structure, and a clear understanding of what you are looking for in a candidate. Here's a guide to help you navigate this process effectivelyDownload Your Guide Now and Start Hiring Smarter!
Situational interview questions
- Scenario: A room has been left in a complete mess after a party event, and it needs to be cleaned for another event the next day. What steps would you take to clean the room and ensure it is ready for the next day?
- Scenario: One of the washrooms is flooded with water, and it's creating a hazard for people to walk through. What would you do to address the issue, and what preventive measures would you put in place?
- Scenario: A graffiti artist has painted some of the walls of the building, and cleaning products are not removing the paint. What kind of approach would you take to tackle the problem, and how could you prevent it from happening in the future?
- Scenario: A visitor slipped and fell on the floor, which appears to be slippery due to someone spilling liquid. How would you deal with the situation and prevent such accidents from happening again?
- Scenario: A critical room, like a laboratory or server room, needs to be cleaned. How would you ensure that it's cleaned without disrupting the delicate equipment or causing any damages to the property?
Soft skills interview questions
- Can you tell me about a time when you had to communicate effectively with a coworker, supervisor, or tenant while performing your janitorial duties?
- How do you prioritize and manage your tasks effectively, especially when you have multiple areas or buildings to clean within a tight timeframe?
- How do you handle challenging or difficult situations, such as a spill or mess that requires extra effort, or a tenant who is unhappy with your cleaning performance?
- Describe a time when you worked as part of a team, either with other janitors or with other departments, to solve a problem or complete a project.
- How do you stay motivated and maintain a positive attitude, even when performing repetitive or physically demanding tasks, such as sweeping or lifting heavy trash bags?
Role-specific interview questions
- What is your experience with different types of cleaning chemicals and equipment? Give an example of how you chose the appropriate tools and supplies for a particular cleaning task.
- Can you describe a time when you had to troubleshoot and resolve a problem with a piece of janitorial equipment, such as a floor buffer or vacuum cleaner?
- Have you ever been responsible for managing inventory and ordering supplies? How did you stay on top of supply levels and adjust orders based on changing demands?
- How do you prioritize and manage your cleaning tasks when dealing with multiple areas or buildings? What strategies have you found to be most effective?
- How do you ensure compliance with health and safety regulations when performing your janitorial duties? Can you give an example of a time when you identified and corrected a hazard in the workplace?
STAR interview questions1. Can you describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult cleaning challenge in a school or building? What were your tasks in that situation, and what actions did you take to solve the problem? What was the result?
2. Have you ever had to handle an emergency cleaning situation, such as a burst pipe or spilled hazardous material? What was your task in that situation, and what actions did you take to ensure safety and cleanliness? What was the end result?
3. In your previous job, did you have to work with a team of janitors to clean a large building or facility? Can you describe the specific tasks you were assigned, and the actions you took to ensure efficiency and effectiveness? What was the result of your efforts?
4. Have you ever had to deal with a difficult customer or client who was unhappy with your cleaning services? Can you describe the situation, your specific responsibilities, and the actions you took to resolve the issue and satisfy the customer? What was the end result?
5. Have you ever had to implement new cleaning procedures or technology in a facility or building? What was your specific task or responsibility in that situation, and what actions did you take to ensure that the transition was successful? What was the end result of the new procedures or technology?