Restaurant Server Interview Questions
The goal for a successful interview for a Restaurant Server is for the candidate to demonstrate excellent customer service skills, knowledge of the menu and ability to multitask efficiently.
Want to Unlock the Secrets of Job Interviews?
Conducting job interviews is a critical task that requires preparation, structure, and a clear understanding of what you are looking for in a candidate. Here's a guide to help you navigate this process effectivelyDownload Your Guide Now and Start Hiring Smarter!
Situational interview questions
- If a customer has severe food allergies, what steps would you take to ensure their safety while taking orders and serving food?
- If a customer complains about the quality of their food, how would you handle the situation to ensure their satisfaction while keeping the restaurant's reputation intact?
- If the restaurant experiences an unexpected surge in customers during a busy evening, how would you adapt to ensure that all tables are served quickly and efficiently?
- If a customer expresses dissatisfaction with a particular menu item, how would you recommend alternatives that cater to their preferences while balancing the restaurant's offerings?
- If a customer becomes agitated or confrontational, how would you deescalate the situation while maintaining a professional and courteous demeanor?
Soft skills interview questions
- How do you handle difficult customers or guests at the restaurant?
- Can you provide an example of a time when you had to work collaboratively with your team to solve a problem?
- How do you prioritize tasks during a busy shift and ensure excellent service for all customers?
- How do you remain attentive and engaged with customers throughout their dining experience?
- Can you give an example of a time when you had to adapt to a changing work environment or a new protocol quickly?
Role-specific interview questions
- How do you handle customer complaints regarding food allergies or intolerances?
- Can you explain the difference between a Pinot Noir and a Cabernet Sauvignon wine?
- How would you handle a situation where a customer received the wrong order?
- How do you ensure that the kitchen and serving areas are kept clean and hygienic?
- Can you describe how you would prioritize and manage multiple tables and customer requests during busy periods?
STAR interview questions1. Can you describe a situation when you had to handle a dissatisfied customer during your time as a restaurant server? What was your task in that situation, what actions did you take, and what was the result?
2. Could you tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult team member while serving at a restaurant? What was the situation, what was your assigned task, how did you handle the situation, and what was the outcome?
3. Have you ever had to resolve a conflict between two customers while serving at a restaurant? What was your responsibility in that situation, what action did you take, and what was the result?
4. Could you tell me about a time when you had to handle a large order with many requests while serving at a restaurant? What was your assigned task, how did you approach the situation, what actions did you take, and what was the result?
5. Can you describe a situation when you had to make a judgment call to resolve an issue while serving at a restaurant? What was the situation, what was your task in that specific situation, how did you decide on your actions and what was the result?