Dental Hygienist Interview Questions
The goal for a successful interview for a Dental Hygienist is to demonstrate their expertise in dental procedures, showcase their communication skills with patients, and exhibit a strong work ethic and attention to detail.
Want to Unlock the Secrets of Job Interviews?
Conducting job interviews is a critical task that requires preparation, structure, and a clear understanding of what you are looking for in a candidate. Here's a guide to help you navigate this process effectivelyDownload Your Guide Now and Start Hiring Smarter!
Situational interview questions
- You are working with a patient who is reluctant to follow your recommendations for an at-home oral hygiene routine. How do you approach this situation and convince the patient to adopt healthier habits?
- You notice that a patient's gums are bleeding during a routine cleaning. What steps do you take to address the issue and ensure that the patient's oral health is not compromised?
- While performing a routine cleaning, you find a suspicious-looking lesion in a patient's mouth. What steps do you take to determine whether the lesion is benign or potentially cancerous?
- You are faced with a patient who is experiencing pain and discomfort during a cleaning due to their sensitive teeth. How do you modify your approach to still provide an effective cleaning without causing the patient further pain?
- A patient comes in with severe dental anxiety and is finding it difficult to relax during the appointment. How do you address the situation and ensure that the patient receives the necessary care while feeling comfortable and at ease?
Soft skills interview questions
- How do you build rapport with patients, particularly when they have dental anxiety and are nervous about their appointment?
- Can you describe a time when you had a conflict with a colleague or supervisor and how you resolved it effectively?
- How do you prioritize and manage your workload, particularly when you have a patient with special needs or a request for extra attention?
- Can you tell me about a time when you had to communicate a difficult message to a patient, and how did you handle the situation?
- How do you ensure that you are staying up-to-date on industry advancements and new techniques for dental hygiene?
Role-specific interview questions
- Can you describe the process you follow when scaling teeth and managing patients with periodontal disease?
- How do you go about identifying and communicating potential abnormalities or concerns to the dentist during a patient's appointment?
- Can you explain the differences between gingivitis and periodontal disease, including their causes and treatment options?
- How do you ensure strict infection control measures are implemented and maintained within the dental practice?
- Have you ever dealt with a difficult patient during a cleaning appointment? How did you manage the situation?
STAR interview questions1. Can you describe a situation where you had to handle a patient's dental emergency? What was your task in that situation? What actions did you take to alleviate the situation? What was the result?
2. Have you ever encountered a patient who was resistant to following your advice on dental hygiene? What was the situation in this case and what was your task? How did you handle the situation? What was the result?
3. Describe a situation where you identified an issue with a patient's oral health during a routine cleaning. What was your task? How did you go about addressing the situation with the patient? What was the result of your actions?
4. Have you ever handled a situation where a patient was anxious or nervous about a dental procedure? What was your task in this situation? What actions did you take to help the patient feel more comfortable? What was the result of your efforts?
5. Can you describe a situation where you had to educate a patient about a specific dental hygiene concern? What was your task? How did you go about educating the patient? What was the result of your efforts?