Behavioral interview questions are used to predict candidate’s future job performance. Behavioral set of interview questions should be on every interviewer’s question list because they are great for finding out more about the candidates and their potential cultural fit with the company.
What do behavioral interview questions test?
Behavioral interview questions are questions about specific examples of past work experiences. Studies have shown that the best way for predicting future job performance is by understanding past performance.
Employee behavior is important not only for job performance but also for the overall atmosphere in your workplace.
Job positions to use behavioral questions for
Behavioral interview questions are an inevitable set of questions for any candidate, regardless of the position they are being interviewed for. Use them for every position you are hiring for, just make sure to focus on a certain situation related to the specific job description.
What are some common examples of behavioral interview questions?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult client. How did you handle that situation?
- Give me an example of a time when you did not meet your supervisor’s expectation. What happened and how did you react?
- Tell me about a time when you were faced with extremely tight deadlines. How did you handle that?
- Give me an example of a time when you showed initiative and took the lead.
- Give me an example of a major mistake you made. How did that happen? How did you proceed with it?
- Have you ever had a subordinate whose work was usually insufficient? How did you handle that situation? What happened? What was the outcome?
- We all make mistakes. Tell me about a situation at work you wish you’d handled differently.
- Give me an example of a situation when you had to work on multiple projects simultaneously. How did you prioritize?
Looking for more questions to ask your candidates in an interview?
Browse our list of interview questions by type and make sure to check out our Complete guide for asking candidates the best interview questions. 🙂