Full Charge Bookkeeper Interview Questions
The goal for a successful Full Charge Bookkeeper interview is for the candidate to demonstrate a strong understanding of financial accounting principles and practices, showcase their experience in managing the full accounting cycle from start to finish, and prove their proficiency in using accounting software and tools to accurately maintain financial records.
Situational interview questions
- Scenario: A vendor you have consistently worked with has started delivering orders late, and it's causing delays in processing the invoices and payments. What steps would you take to resolve this issue, and how would you communicate the same to your supervisor?
- Scenario: One of your clients has identified some discrepancies in their accounts, and they suspect that some of their invoices are being paid more than once. What steps would you take to investigate the matter, and how would you rectify any mistakes made?
- Scenario: The company you work for has recently implemented new accounting software, and many of your colleagues are struggling to adapt to the changes. What steps would you take to help your team transition, and how would you ensure the accuracy of the information entered into the software?
- Scenario: A vendor has overcharged your company for a product or service, and it's been discovered during an audit. What steps would you take to remedy the situation, and how would you prevent similar errors in the future?
- Scenario: Your company's bank account has been hacked, and a significant amount of money has been stolen. What steps would you take to identify the source of the hack, report the theft to your bank, and prevent future attacks?
Soft skills interview questions
- Can you describe your communication style when working with clients and team members?
- How do you prioritize and manage multiple tasks and deadlines while ensuring accuracy and attention to detail?
- Can you give an example of a time when you had to think creatively to solve a problem, and how did you approach it?
- Describe a situation where you had to collaborate with individuals from different departments or teams, and what strategies did you use to effectively communicate and work together?
- Can you discuss a time when you had to handle a difficult or sensitive situation with a client or team member, and what steps did you take to resolve it?
Role-specific interview questions
- Can you explain the difference between accrual and cash-basis accounting methods?
- How would you handle a situation where a customer disputes a payment or invoice?
- Describe your experience with balancing general ledger accounts and preparing financial statements.
- How do you ensure that financial records are kept confidential and secure?
- Have you ever identified an error in a financial report, and if so, what steps did you take to correct it?
STAR interview questions1. Can you describe a time when you identified a major discrepancy in a client's financial records (Situation)? What was your task in resolving this issue (Task)? What steps did you take to address the issue (Action)? And ultimately, what impact did your actions have on the client's financials (Result)?
2. Tell me about a time when you had to handle a complex payroll situation for a client (Situation). What were your specific responsibilities in resolving this situation (Task)? What actions did you take to ensure that the payroll was accurately processed (Action)? And what was the outcome for the client (Result)?
3. Describe a situation where you had to reconcile multiple accounts for a client (Situation). What was your task in completing this reconciliation process (Task)? What actions did you take in this process to ensure accuracy and completeness (Action)? And ultimately, what was the resulting outcome for the client's financials (Result)?
4. Tell me about a time when you had to handle a particularly challenging client (Situation). What was your role in managing this relationship and addressing any concerns (Task)? What specific actions did you take with this client to improve communication and ensure their satisfaction with your services (Action)? As a result, what changes did you see in the client's engagement and feedback (Result)?
5. Can you describe a situation where you identified an inefficiency in a client's financial process or reporting (Situation)? What was your task in developing a solution to streamline this process (Task)? What steps did you take to develop and implement this new process or system (Action)? And what were the resulting benefits for the client, in terms of improved efficiency, accuracy, or other key metrics (Result)?